Colombo - the cultural, political and economical epicentre of Sri Lanka
Colombo is the capital city of Sri Lanka with a mixed bag of commerce, finance and culture.
Being the biggest city of Sri Lanka the jewel of the ocean, Colombo is naturally green and eye pleasing. On your trip from Melbourne to Colombo you will find idyllic fishing villages, stunning fortresses, tea plantations, pristine beaches and elephant sanctuary.
This beautiful country with lush greenery and beaches is an excellent combo of traditional environment and urban infrastructure. The island country has exotic gardens, stunning buildings, buzzing markets, colonial heritage and exceptional dining and shopping opportunities. The city has historical attractions like the fort, Cinnamon gardens and ramparts of Galle.
Some of the startling attractions of Colombo are:
- Mirissa beach
- Elephant sanctuary near Kandy river
- Sigiriya rock trekking
- Sri Lankan cuisine in Bandarawela
- Sacred Bo tree in Anuradhapura
- Shopping markets
- National Zoological gardens
- Beira lake
- Ancient palaces, temples, Buddha statues of Polonnaruwa
- Vegetable and tea gardens
- Negombo's historical commerce centre
- Colonial buildings, museums, restaurants and street markets
Your travel experience from Melbourne to Colombo would be a mix of adventure and amusing things. The place has a lot of significance in Hindu mythology as Sri Lanka is a place where Lord Rama and Ravana had fought the battle. So, you must visit this place full of wonder, mystic and spiritual significance.